Sunday, April 12, 2015

SI Swimsuit Rookie of the Year Kelly Rohrbach on Her Summer Workout Tips and the Season’s Hottest Swim Trends

SI Swimsuit Rookie of the Year Kelly Rohrbach on Her Summer Workout Tips and the Season’s Hottest Swim Trends:





*Photos by: Jacob Dekat and Prince Chenoa

You’ve seen the cover, you’ve flipped through the issue, now prepare to meet one of Sports Illustrated’s hottest new bikini babes, Kelly Rohrbach!  Since appearing in the 2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue (her first professional modeling shoot, ever) the 24-year-old Georgetown University golfer-turned-model has enjoyed a level of skyrocketing success befitting of a true SI superstar, including winning the franchise’s hotly contested Rookie of the Year title.  And while you’re no doubt familiar with Kelly’s stunning physique and perfect pout, trust us when we say that there’s more than meets the eye with this ‘Cali by way of Connecticut’ beauty.

We recently had the chance to sit down with the future SI cover girl (come on, it’s bound to happen) at the New York launch of up-and-coming swimwear label Rise City Swim— Kelly stars in the brand’s first lookbook— where we chatted about all things swim and beach related.   From her favorite NYC hotspots to tips to taking the perfect beach selfie (yes, please!), get to know modeling’s next big face (and body) after the jump!

First, tell us what was it like being named the 2015 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Rookie of the Year?

It was crazy! The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue was my first shoot as a model, so to make it into the magazine was already surreal, but then to be named Rookie of the Year on top of that, I mean that was like the cherry on top of an already ginormous cake. Overall, it’s just been an incredibly exciting year and I’m happy to say that I have a lot of really big things coming up.

Let’s talk swim! What are some of your favorite swim trends that you’re seeing right now?

I’m loving the one-piece. Rise City Swim has this great strappy black one-piece that I fell in love with on our shoot.  I definitely think one-pieces are going to make a big comeback this summer, and Rise City has a lot of great stuff in that realm. All of their pieces have an amazing fit, but what I love the most is their use of color.  As a woman with a bigger chest, I love that they make me feel secure up top, but they also have these great cheeky bottoms that make you feel really confident and sexy.  It’s a win-win.





What are some of your favorite summer vacation spots?

I love to go out to Long Island in the summer, but my favorite place in the whole world is Malibu, California. I love Malibu!

Any tips for taking the perfect beach selfie?

Smile. I think if you’re on the beach and in a bikini than you’re already sexy, you don’t need to do a sexy pose on top of it.  Just smile and look happy to be there, because you probably are. Make it authentic and remember that ‘less is more.’

What are some of your favorite ways to stay in shape throughout the summer?

I’m a big runner.  I hate the gym, so anything outdoors. Run, hike, whatever, walk the beach.  When I’m in New York, I’d much rather run along the West Side Highway, and stop and do some lunges and push-ups along the way than workout indoors. Just get outside, be active and have fun—it doesn’t have to be complicated.

Describe your perfect Girls’ Night Out.

Tonight is not actually a bad night.  I invited all of my girl friends here tonight and we’re having a blast.  On any other night though, I’m not a huge ‘party girl,’ so I would prefer to just invite some girls over to my place for some take-out and wine.  That to me is a perfect night— just all of us girls getting cozy on the couch, laughing and having a good time.

What are some of your favorite NYC hotspots?

I love The Elk coffee shop and Miss Lily’s.  My sisters also live uptown, so when I go hang out with them we’ll go to Saint Ambroeus.  I’m also a person who still loves Central Park.  If I want to hang out with a girl friend I always suggest we just grab a coffee and power walk through the park.

Lastly, describe yourself in one emoji.

That’s a great question!  I’m going to go with the eggplant. It’s different.

For more, be sure to follow Kelly on Twitter and Instagram!