Monday, June 8, 2015

Hear Giorgio Moroder's Catchy Charli XCX, Mikky Ekko Collaborations

Hear Giorgio Moroder's Catchy Charli XCX, Mikky Ekko Collaborations:

Dance-music legend Giorgio Moroder has released two new tracks, which will both appear on his upcoming comeback record Déjà Vu. The bouncy pop track "Diamonds" features Charli XCX singing about "a girl's best friend" between fuzzy synth bass and Moroder's Vocodered-voice singing "Diamonds!" while "Don't Let Go" plays out more like an EDM-tinged pop ballad about keeping a relationship going. The full record is due out June 16th.

"I was surprised he reached out to me to be honest," Charli told Rolling Stone of the collaboration earlier this year. "He's such a legend and I was truly honored." She went on to explain that she had written the tune when she was 16 or 17 on her first trip to Sweden. "It's something that's been around for a while and I sent it over and he felt it," she said. "It was something I had worked on for my first record but couldn't get quite right."

Moroder said that he was surprised that so many young people knew his work and appreciated it. "I noticed that the audiences were so young, like 18 to 40," he said. "I felt so young. I mean, I'm 74, but I still felt like part of this young generation. Some of those guys knew my songs and were not even born when they came out. It's nice to hear a 20-year-old guy or girl sing along with the lyrics."

Déjà Vu will be Moroder's first LP in three decades when it comes out on June 16th. It will also feature collaborations he did with Britney Spears (a cover of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner"), Foxes and Kelis, among others. He's already released videos for his collaborations with Sia ("Déjà Vu") and Kylie Minogue ("Right Here, Right Now").

Original enclosures: