Monday, November 2, 2015

Easton Corbin Explains Why 'Yup' Was a Hard Sell

Easton Corbin Explains Why 'Yup' Was a Hard Sell:

Easton Corbin wasn't always sold on his new single "Yup." In fact, he tells Rolling Stone Country, he didn't really like it the first time he heard it.

"It's a little different from what people normally hear from me, but it's a good thing to change it up a little bit," he says. "I remember first hearing the song and I wasn't crazy about it. It didn't really hit me."

His manager, though, knew "Yup" would be good for Corbin and continued to force feed it to him. "He had the song for two years and he'd say, 'Let me play that for you,'" Corbin recalls. "Finally one day I said, 'Let me take a copy of that and let me listen to it.' So I kept listening to it and it started growing on me. I said, 'Man, that's a really good song.' It's pretty catchy."

What finally sold Corbin on "Yup" was the relatability of the lyrics. "Every guy or girl has been in this situation at a bar," he reasons. "I know I have, where I tell my buddies, 'I'm here, and I'm not staying long. I gotta do something tomorrow,' and I end up staying 'til close. There's usually a pretty girl involved."

Corbin doesn't necessarily think "Yup" is "departure" from his sound, but he recognizes that sonically, the song is different. Lyrically, though, it's right up his alley.

"Listening to everything else out there, it's pretty country," he said. "The subject matter is very much country."

Original enclosures: