Beck honored Prince this weekend by covering his 1985 hit "Raspberry Beret." The singer-songwriter's soulful, folky performance closed out Memphis' Beale Street Music Festival, Stereogum reports.
Beck has covered "Raspberry Beret" several times over the years – including a 2003 piano performance in Ireland as part of the Sea Change solo tour – though rarely in full. He's also previously played "Purple Rain" a handful of times on-stage, including a hilarious 2005 take accompanied by a fan pumping the harmonium.
Beck's soulful falsetto epic "Debra" from 1999 LP Midnite Vultures owes a clear musical debt to Prince: Rolling Stone recently named the track one of 18 Awesome Prince Rip-Offs.
Following the news of Prince's death at age 57, artists from across the musical spectrum have paid their respects.
"Prince was so inspired, and so inspiring," Prince's friend Stevie Wonder told Rolling Stone. "He was kind, he was disciplined and he knew where he wanted to go. He was able to make big transitions. If Michael was the King of Pop, Prince should be the Emperor. Prince fought for his artistic freedom. He didn't allow anyone or anything to get in his way. By following his own path, Prince took music to a whole other place, like the Beatles did. He wanted to change the way things were, like Marvin Gaye did. When you do that, you have to be very sure of yourself."
Bruce Springsteen opened up his Brooklyn concert by paying tribute to Prince with a powerful cover of "Purple Rain." Watch here.
- FASHION WEEK - USA Fashion and Music News
- HOLLYWOOD NEWS - Hollywood News Blogger
- PALCO MP3 - Download Music Legally Direct From Artist
- LAST FM - Download Music Legally Direct From Artist
- USA FASHION Google + - Fashion Models Photography Videos Beauty
- DISNEY CHANNEL - Photos and Music News
- BABY JUSTIN BIEBER - Google Images Google News
- LADY GAGA - Google Images Google News
- ACROSS THE UNIVERSE - Google Images Universe Pictures
- VICTORIA´S SECRET FASHION SHOW - Victoria´s Secret Fashion Show Photos